OK, I admit it. I’m shallow.
For a favourite place to make it onto my favourite places list, it’s got to be able to deliver experiences I can’t have anywhere else. In Australia, if not the world!
And a selection of good bakeries doesn’t hurt either …
And from there it just got better and better.
600km east of Port Macquarie, this unique island is a parallel universe – old favourites amongst birds, plants and insects coexist with endemic species, and it punches above its weight with with a disproportionately high number of state, Australian and world exclusives. Hardly surprising, then that the Lord Howe island group was World Heritage listed in 1982!
The lagoon surrounded by the world’s southernmost coral reef (and where new fish species are still being discovered) is the only place in NSW where the sun sets over the sea. And the 9 hole golf course, the only one anywhere on World Heritage turf, is in a setting so spectacular I could almost see the point of golf … hitting the ball into the sea in such a place would almost be an honour!
And when a Lord Howe Island woodhen pecks your toes? Well, it IS is a thrill to be had nowhere else in the world … and by not many others.
Down to the last 30 birds in the 70’s, the woodhen narrowly escaped extinction through a successful breeding program and its population is now stable at around 300.
If this is paradise, I don’t care if I never get to me* – but just to show I can be balanced about a place I really like, there ARE some things it DOESN’T have. Here’s a list:
Top 5 things Lord Howe Island doesn’t have:
1. Public Transport: Walk, cycle, or hire a car – but only if you can drive at 25 kph or less!
2. Cats: All cats, feral or domesticated, have now left the island. Some bird species are showing their gratitude by increasing their populations significantly!
3. Mobile Phones: Clearly not Telstra shareholders, an island referendum voted against them! My care factor? Zero!!
4. Crime: Although I could be wrong about this. We DID see a couple of cyclists without helmets – could this be the start of an unprecedented crime wave???
5. Snakes: WOO HOO! Yeah!! ALL Right!!! Walk without fear in that long grass!!!!
And don’t think for one tiny instant you’ve heard the last from me about this magical, wondrous island and my new favourite place – I’ll be boring you rigid showcasing its delights in future posts so be warned look out for them soon!!
If you can’t wait for more, check out the best flights right now!
- My Lord Howe Island Triathlon
- Lord Howe Island Scenic Loos – Main Beach and Neds Beach
- Balls Pyramid Adventure
- More Lord Howe Island Photos on Flickr
# Pic by Pilchard
* Apologies to Charlene